Bell Pass Trail, McDowell Sonoran Preserve: Gateway Trailhead, Phoenix - Scottsdale - Mesa, Arizona
Bell Pass Trail - 7.0 miles
McDowell Sonoran Preserve: Gateway Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||7.0 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||1,709' - 3,178' (3,178' max elevation at Bell Pass)|
|Elevation Change:||+1,496' net elevation gain (+1550' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Bell Pass Trail - 7.0 Miles Round-Trip
Bell Pass is located 3.5 miles from the Gateway Trailhead between McDowell Peak (3,995’) and Thompson Peak (3,969’) in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. This moderately-strenuous trail rises gently in a lush bajada before climbing steeply to the pass.
Bell Pass offers a comparable experience to Windgate Pass, but is shorter with more elevation gain. Visitors will enjoy diverse vegetation and great views along the Bell Pass Trail:
The Gateway Trail moves quickly to the Gateway Loop split (.4 miles : 1,782’) and bends SE on mild grades up the bajada. It passes the 104th Street, Crossover and Paradise trails en route to the Gateway Loop – Bell Pass Trail split at the base of the foothills (1.5 miles : 2,008’).
The Bell Pass Trail moderates for the next .5 miles in the upper bajada before curling northeast up the canyon below Thompson Peak (2.0 miles : 2,143').
The trail climbs steeply for the next 1.5 miles on switchbacks to Bell Pass (3.5 miles : 3,178').
Bell Pass is a small, open saddle with views that extend east over McDowell Mountain Regional Park to the Four Peaks Wilderness and Superstition Mountains. Weavers Needle is clearly identifiable along the mountainous horizon.
The Bell Pass Trail continues down the backside of McDowell Mountain and up to Windgate Pass, which leads back to the Gateway Trailhead to form a 9.6 mile loop. This extended route offers a chance to see the lightly traveled backside of the Preserve.
- N33 38.962 W111 51.497 — 0.0 Miles: Gateway Trailhead
- N33 38.959 W111 51.125 — 0.4 Miles: Turn right onto Gateway Trail
- N33 38.861 W111 51.091 — 0.55 Miles: 104th Street Trail Intersection
- N33 38.705 W111 50.882 — 0.85 Miles: Crossover Trail Intersection
- N33 38.771 W111 50.419 — 1.35 Miles: Paradise Trail Intersection
- N33 38.817 W111 50.216 — 1.5 Miles: Turn right onto Bell Pass Trail (leave Gateway Trail)
- N33 38.803 W111 49.771 — 2.0 Miles: Steep ascent towards Bell Pass
- N33 38.962 W111 49.403 — 2.5 Miles: Switchbacking up canyon towards Bell Pass
- N33 39.142 W111 49.032 — 3.0 Miles: Bell Pass now visible, 0.5 miles and 500' remain
- N33 39.299 W111 48.805 — 3.5 Miles: Bell Pass - 3,178'
- There is no fee to enter the preserve.
- This is a popular trailhead that sees heavy use, especially on weekends. Arrive early to secure parking and avoid crowds.
- The Gateway Trailhead is a popular launch pad for Mountain Bikers who can access trails in McDowell Mountain Regional Park and Fountain Hills from Windgate Pass and Bell Pass.
Camping and Backpacking Information
No camping allowed - the McDowell Sonoran Preserve is day-use only.
No fishing is available at the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.
Rules and Regulations
- Preserve users must remain on designated and posted trails to prevent damage to flora and fauna.
- No camping in the Preserve.
- No fires and no smoking in the Preserve.
- Plant material (dead or alive); sand, gravel, rocks or soil; and any item of archaeological significance, may not be removed from the Preserve.
- The Scottsdale McDowell Sonoran Preserve is open for archery hunting. Hunting with firearms is prohibited. Rules and regulations for hunting are established by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. For information, visit: www.azgfd.gov.
- Dogs must remain on a leash at all times in the Preserve, and on established trails (just like their owners!). Animal waste must be picked up and disposed of in a trash receptacle.
Directions to Trailhead
The Gateway Trailhead is located off of Thompson Peak Parkway in Scottsdale, AZ.
From Highway 101, exit on Bell Road (#14) and travel 1.65 miles east to Thompson Peak Pkwy. Turn north on Thompson Peak Parkway for .55 miles, then right into the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Continue .2 miles into the main lot.
McDowell Sonoran Conservancy
16435 N Scottsdale Rd. Suite 110
Scottsdale AZ, 85254